Re: SUE.. what to do?

Your intentions, and our intentions, and the government's intentions
(believe it or not) are all good. But re-read the history of this case.
It is the Sioux landowner who is calling the shots. Because he had ceded
his land back in trust to be managed for his benefit, Interior has to
manage the T. rex for the landowner's benefit. Currently, the landowner
sees this as primarily a financial benefit and Interior is legally bound
to go along with what he decides if it is recognized in law as being for his
benefit. Don't direct your suggestions at the White House. You don't have
to convince anyone in the government of the immense scientific value of
this, nor do you have to convince the Cheyenne River Sioux tribal
council. No one except the landowner sees the sale of the T. rex as being
anything except bleak....but the landowner calls the shots on this one.

Sally Shelton
Director, Collections Care and Conservation

|                 San Diego Natural History Museum                      |
|                          P. O. Box 1390                               |
|                San Diego, California   92112  USA                     |
|             phone (619) 232-3821; FAX (619) 232-0248                  |
|                     email LIBSDNHM@CLASS.ORG                          |