Re: Amphibians (Re: Bakker lecture)

> From dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu Fri Sep 22 07:23 BST 1995
> Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 02:15:58 -0400
> Originator: dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
> From: Stang1996@aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list <dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu>
> Subject: Amphibians (Re: Bakker lecture)
>
> The reason amphibians are going extinct at such an alarming rate is because
> of a very slight, but tremendously sudden, rise in global air temperature
> that has caused the water temperature in most shallow freshwater areas (ie
> frog breeding ground) to raise a few degrees celsius, thus making the
> delicate amphibian eggs inviable (because they had evolved for a very
> specific water temperature).  I WILL NOW WRITE A POLITICAL STATEMENT: this is
> very well known, and obvious to anyone with half a brain; it totally escapes
> me how the US house and senate can even Consider weakening the already weak
> environmental laws (the half a brain statement might have something to do
> with it? =).  There, no more political statements from me for a while (at
> least I'll try).
>
> Peter Buchholz
> Stang1996@aol.com

I tend to agree with your sentiment, but the problems amphibians are facing
are many and varied - global warming might be a factor (in some cases) but it
is certainly not that simple. Land, air & water pollution have been implicated,
as has increased UV radiation.  Habitat destruction and general disturbance
are widespread problems..

Tony Canning
tonyc&foe.co.uk

Opinions expressed are personal, and not necessarily my employer's.