Sauropod Informed (original Blood flow ?)

Hello,

I certainly have had plenty to read, concerning sauropod blood flow, with
over 70 postings and counting. Movement possiblities, neccessities of action,
cost of action, and the miriad of opinion aside I have a much better
understanding of Sauropods. Thank you very much for all interested enough to
respond. (Whether to me directly or the subject in general). Bravo for the
list!

I think we can safely assume that most Saurpods didn't black-out every time
they lowered their heads, so there had to have been some sort of blood
pressure regulation. While we may never know what those mechanisms were thay
had to exist.

Now, addressing a subject recently started here, I believe regarding Dr.
Horner's speech in CA.

T-rex teeth, biting ability, and scent receptors.
Would I be assuming too much in guesing T-rex had poor oral hygine? Would I
be farther off the beam to assume that a deep bite on a Hadrosaur thigh would
go septic? Would not such a wounded dinosaur take on a 'special' scent?
Wouldn't this wounded dino, especially if on migration, fall behind the herd
and become much easier to dispatch? Even the smell of blood would allow the
T-rex to zero in on that specimen amongst a herd( if indeed their sense of
smell was as well developed as supposed). A wounded animal in any migration
we can observe today is less likely to survive, isn't it? If said T-rex made
a half dozen attempted outright kills day and wounded at least one that
equals out to a lot (AKA buttload) of Hadrosaur steaks.

I think the comparison of the forces of nature at work during the Cretaceous
and those of today are valid. True, the players have changed and the
designated food animal(s), has changed the game, but the prey-preditor
relationship has remained basicly the same since the evolution of preditory
microbes, and maybe before that. Some players make the Hall of Fame, and
justly so, while others retire as unknowns (a shame for sure).

Picture this;
Late in the day, close to dusk, the migrating Hadrosaur herd slows for the
night. T-rex stalks slowly through the shadows, head low and sniffing the
air. The weakened members of the herd, trailing the main group, become less
cautious. (Or maybe just the stupid ones). T-rex selects a target, and in a
quick rush strikes a Hadrosaur with those teeth. If the Hadrosaur goes down
the T-rex eats now. If the Hadrosaur is badly wounded the T-rex, or another,
eats later. In herds of tens of thousands this interaction goes on, almost
forever.( Or at least until the time of dinosaurs ended).

Call me crazy, but that's my heads quick-time movie of a T-rex hunt.

Roger A. Stephenson  Power PC user/ Pro artist/ Dinosaur junkie

 "Make it so."