Subject: Re: NO! NO! JP 2 (THE PROPER MESSAGE)
Author:  holly.ColoState.EDU!martz
Originator: dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
at nssi
Date:    9/21/95 2:20 PM

     Not wanting to kill the nice little animals is a perspective we
human can afford to enjoy from our nice, safe isolation from the
enviroment.  An animal out there is the wild does not have this
convenience because its life is in constant jeopardy from other animals.
The characters in Jurassic Park were placed into that same situation.
No, those theropods weren't evil, but they were predatory animals, and
thier business in life is killing and eating other animals.  A perogative
of every oragnism that lives, icluding humans, is to avoid such a demise,
and since having a pleasant discussion over coffee with the dinosaurs or
using non-lethal martial arts to persuade them from munching them were
unlikely to be successful, shooting them was pretty much the remaining
option.  Killing in defense of one's life rather eliminates such abstract
concepts as unselfish natural harmony, something that doesn't exit in
the natural world, only in the human imagination.

J.Martz