Re: Bakker lecture

>Of course, this is probably tosh - frogs have a meagre fossil record.
>Furthermore, froggies today are in deep trouble, with species dropping like
>proverbial flies. ASAIK, the South American Golden toads and Harlequin frogs
>haven't been seen in the wild since the early 1990s, and Australia has lost
>something like 7 species in recent years, including (sadly), the Gastric
>brooding frog. Here in the UK _Rana temporaria_ is continuing to experience
>catastrophic, unexplained die-offs. Frogs certainly aren't immune to human
>interference, we're doing everything we can to kill most of them off!

        I remember reading somewhere that all amphibians are pretty much
disappearing (water permeable integument + acid rain = dead amphibs').
Where I'm from (Michigan), the summer nights used to be a cacophony of
horny frogs, now theres barely a peeper.

Jason J. Head
V.P. graduate student
Dept. of Geological Sciences
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Tx. 75275

        "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"- H.S. Thompson