Re: Bakker lecture

>>>He actually covered a lot of ground in that lecture.  In the Q&A at the
>>>end someone asked the extinction question.  Bakker reiterated his disease
>>>theory, and pointed out that some very delicate land animals survived,
>>>so it could not have been the meteor that caused it.
>
>>Why?
>
>Because anything powerful enough to kill dinosaurs should have wiped out
>the more delicate creatures too.
>
>-----------
>Achut Reddy                    So many fossils... so little time!

Well, if Bakker said this he needs to take a few courses in basic ecology.
It's fairly well-known that the big critters at the top of various food
chains often go first in crises of this sort, as they need the most
resources to survive per individual.  The small "delicate" (??) creatures
with lower resource requirements can hang in a lot longer.  What disappears
first when rainforest (say) is degraded?  Usually the top predators and big
herbivores.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5