Re: Re: Horner & T. rex

>While we are on the subject of stereo vision in tyrannosaurs, there was a
>recent note in Science of Nature showing that although ostrich eyes face
>forward and seem to have overlapping fields of vision (about as much as in
>tyrannosaurs), study of the retina shows they do not have real stereo vision.
>Since we will never have tyrannosaur retinas to look at, we will never know
>what they really saw.

Molnar, in his monograph on T. rex skulls (in Paleontographica A, can't
remember the year or issue), makes the same conclusion: since some birds
have the potential for stereoscopy, but do not actually manifest this
condition, it is problematic as to T. rex having the same.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland