NO! NO! JP 2 (THE PROPER MESSAGE)

(Second time lucky)
(Sorry about this Tim)

Jason was saying about Crichton's stupid idea of _Carnotaurus_ being able to
colour-change. This is another of his stupid fanciful obsessions. In JP, he is
obsessed with venomous theropods, also giving them prehensile tongues. His idea
of a chameleonic ability in theropods is not new, as, in JP, a baby 'raptor'
changes colour from brown to green. "He's a chamaeleon", says Lex. I'm guessing
he's basing this on the frog genes that have been inserted (but this doesn't
apply to the tyrannosaur - remember that thread?).

The biggest prob I have with JP is purely the humans vs. dinosaurs aspect. I
don't care that Crichton couldn't be arsed to work more on his human
characterizations - I was only reading the book for the dinosaurs. But I think
that we were supposed to at least feel something for the humans and,
furthermore, were supposed to see those predatory theropods as evil and nasty,
and worthy of destruction. So when, in the film, Grant is firing some huge gun
at a menacing dromaeosaur, we're _supposed_ to be thinking "Kill that nasty
dinosaur Grant! Those dinosaurs are nasty evil-doers!". I found myself hoping
that the dinosaurs wouldn't be killed, and certainly wouldn't mind them snacking
on whichever of the human cast took their fancy (start with Sattler ... err..
her facial expressions annoy me).

Would you, fellow dinophile, be as intent on killing the dinosaurs as Grant was
in the book and film? Especially as he was supposed to be a dinosaurologist that
had been looking at the bones of these creatures all his life? No. OK,
dromaeosaurs have no place running around in the 1990s, but I wouldn't shoot
one, same as I wouldn't shoot a tiger. For me, it was the tragedy of the book
that the military nucked the island, not the victorious triumph of man over
beast that Crichton was playing on. OK, so it's only a film, but it says a lot
about attitudes to nature. "Some people aren't worth the minerals they're made
of"  "Mmm" "In your estimation, does that include me?"  "Yes. You have rocketed
down miles in my estimation since you killed that crane-fly for no other reason
than you could, so you did. You are not worth the minerals you are made of." I
didn't want the dinosaurs to get killed and, the disturbing thing was, I was
supposed to, were I seeing the book/film through Crichton's eyes.

We've got a lot to learn.

"Can't we just declare war on the French and kick the living sh*t out of them?"

DARREN NAISH