Re: Bakker lecture

> >Why?
>
> Because anything powerful enough to kill dinosaurs should have wiped out
> the more delicate creatures too.

Ahh.. Bakker's 'frog problem'.

"There are _thousands_ of species of frog. Always have been. Yet frogs have
_never_ undergone a major mass extinction. They just keep on going."

(Another, somewhat paraphrased, Bakker quote).

Of course, this is probably tosh - frogs have a meagre fossil record.
Furthermore, froggies today are in deep trouble, with species dropping like
proverbial flies. ASAIK, the South American Golden toads and Harlequin frogs
haven't been seen in the wild since the early 1990s, and Australia has lost
something like 7 species in recent years, including (sadly), the Gastric
brooding frog. Here in the UK _Rana temporaria_ is continuing to experience
catastrophic, unexplained die-offs. Frogs certainly aren't immune to human
interference, we're doing everything we can to kill most of them off!

(BTW, _Lycaon pictus_, mentioned by Tom Holtz a few days ago, has not been
recorded in locales where it was once common for the past 5 or so years. Dogs
and frogs - being eliminated at the same time)

"You've got something jammed in here real good!"

DARREN NAISH