Re: Bakker lecture

Ronald Orenstein writes:

>>       T.rex also had several large bird-like air sacs --
>>        implying that T.rex was specifically well adapted for high
>>        respiration needed to run fast.  Not to mention that it could
>>        probably have survived at 36,000 feet :-)

>Shouldn't that be "T. rex MAY HAVE HAD air sacs"?  Did he really say
>unequivocally that they had them?

Have you ever known Bakker to equivocate on anything? :-)

>>      - showed that most of the weight and strength of sauropods is near
>>        the hind legs and the base of the tail.  The front part of the
>>        body and neck were very light and filled with air sacs.  This
>>        makes it *very* easy for it to rear up on the hind legs.

>I buy the first part, which makes sense to me - but again, air sacs don't
>fossilize, folks.  I am quite prepared to believe that dinos may have had
>them and that bone pneumatization is suggestive of their presence, but is
>there any reasonto go further?

In the T.rex case at least, he show that the middle vertebrae had these
little knob with depressions.  He said these were the attachment point for
the air sacs.

>>He actually covered a lot of ground in that lecture.  In the Q&A at the
>>end someone asked the extinction question.  Bakker reiterated his disease
>>theory, and pointed out that some very delicate land animals survived,
>>so it could not have been the meteor that caused it.

>Why?

Because anything powerful enough to kill dinosaurs should have wiped out
the more delicate creatures too.

Achut Reddy                     So many fossils... so little time!
achut@sun.com