Re: Sauropod spines

> >In a message dated 95-09-19 22:18:36 EDT, zooamy@zoo.latrobe.edu.au (Adam
> >Yates) writes:
>
> >Ah, yes. The theropods. By the time we reach _Eoraptor_ et al. in the
> >theropodomorph cladogram, the dermal armor has become pre-feathers (and
> >farther up, real feathers), which are known only in the basitheropod
> >_Longisquama_ so far. But that's a whole other story that I'm not quite ready
> >to go into just yet.
>
> Just a little?  Is there any evidence that the peculiar structures of
> Longisquama are actually feather homologues as opposed to funny-looking
> things that look vaguely like feathers?  Or evidence that any non-avian dino
> had feathers.

Hang on a minute, I was not the author of the above statement, it comes
from Dinogeorge's reply to my posting. Personally, I think you are
probably right, Longisquama had elongated scales (display structures?)
that happen to look vaguely lie feathers (emphasis on the word vaguely).
I also hope Dinogeorge wil discuss his reasons for including this
creature in Dinosauria. Does anyone have a reference for a good
description of this animal?

Adam Yates