COLOURFUL DINOS..

>    animals that:
>       1. have color vision and,
>       2. have daytime courtship
>    are likely to be brightly colored.  I was going to point out
>    to him that humans meet both criteria and yet are rather drab
>    colored :-)
>
> Achut Reddy               So many fossils... so little time!
> achut@sun.com

Nothing wrong with bright colour splashes on an allosaur's head, an
oviraptorid's wattles, or a stegosaur's plates. But, as you rightly point out,
good colour vision and daytime courtship do not necessarily equal multicoloured,
fluorescent hues (don't most of us humans do our courting in the dark anyway?).

Mammals aren't good for comparison with archosaurs in this regard, but there are
a great many daytime birds that are relatively dull coloured. Bustards, rheas,
seriemas, many passerines (especially those popularly called LBJs - Little Brown
Jobs) and others are browns, greys and whites. Nor is this restricted to birds
with nasty predators, as many birds of prey, perhaps most notably the _Aquila_
eagle, are boring browns and greys too. Might this relate to latitude or, more
likely, habitat? Notably, all such browny coloured species are grassland
species...

A fair deal of 'dull coloured' birds are very well patterned (e.g. certain
bustards, sparrows), but not all. While stripy purple and yellow brontosaurs
are indeed a possibility, they are not NOT a certified reality - contrary to
what I've heard Bakker say ("Dinos MUST have been brightly coloured, like
toucans and macaws").

"_I_ think you jus can't bear to let a gorgeous guy like me out of your site"

DARREN NAISH