Re: More news about Sue

> The following quotes were sent to me by Ken Carpenter:
>
>   "When an object is of particularly high scientific importance, it is
>   my belief that its preservation must be guaranteed by some legally
>   enforceable means." Editorial by Kevin Schiefer, US Attorney for
>   South Dakota, Rapid City Journal May 23, 1992
>
>   "Murdy [of the BIA] said his understanding of the situation is that
>   the government's trust status responsibility is to Willams - not to
>   any scientific standard.  The government hopes to get Williams the
>   best value for the dinosaur, but that value is hard to determine."
>   Hill City Prevaile, Sept. 6, 1995
>
> I don't know anything more than what's there, but look carefully at
> the dates above.  Things don't look that promising for Sue's long-term
> disposition.

I've got a solution to this problem....

Make "Sue" ward of the United States and send it to the AMNH....or at
least allow the specimen to be examined by paleontologist or a team of
paleontologists from all over the U.S.

There is just too much information to be had from this specimen to be let
setting under wraps

 ---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha,edu)