Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

>You have to *start* with the basics, like the mouth shape, and go
>from there.  Sauropods have cow-like mouths, not elephant-like ones.

Could you elusidate why a sauropod mouth is more cow-like than
elephant-like (any resemblance seems pretty rough to me).

>*However* they fed, and *wherever* they fed, sauropods did so by
>gulping down great quantities of green stuff without much selection.
>[So did Anatotitan, while Stegosaurus apparently picked the very best,
>highest energy stuff it could find - just *look* at that narrow schnozz].

I would be a lot more comfortable with these arguements if you phrased them
with "appears to have been" rather than the absolute terms you present them
in. Even if sauropods fed by gulping down great quantities of green stuff
without much selection seems the most likely interpretation we can make of
the data, this is only a supposition and should be expressed as such.

>Now that we have established that sauropods were giant leaf-sucking
>vacuum cleaners,

We have done no such thing. We have asserted, not established.

>we can look at the rest of the anatomy to fogure
>out *how* they accessed the required quantity of leaf.  Given the
>known fossil record of the Morrison times,

Probably the most fool-hardy assumption made here (what was not fossilised
from the Morrison world?).

>the choices are herbaceous
>ferns or tall conifers - the bushy cycads were not suitable for bulk
>browsing, and were probably not common enough anyhow (understory
>shrubs are usually widely scattered, and shrubs in arid svannas are
>also usually widely scattered).
>
>Ferns would be in the 0.5 to 1.5 meter height range.  The conifers
>would be in the 20 meter or higher size range. A 3 meter at the
>shoulders sauropod would need at most a 2 meter neck to reach ferns.
>About the only Morrison sauropod that meets that criterion is
>Camarasaurus - and *it* had the derived brachiosauroid style neck.

QED? I don't think so. I am not saying that your presentation is completely
wrong or even unlikely. My gripe is with the emphatic presentation. All
this dino-behaviour stuff must be presented in manner consistent with its
speculative content.

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au