Re: Giraffes necking

>Someone (I forget who)_ said that giraffe's do not use their horns
>when they side-swipe with their necks.  Not true.  When I have
>observed giraffes sparring (in the Sudan) it seemed to me that the
>main objective was to hit the opponent with the horns.  A neck-to-
>neck strike was  only fortuitous when one of them dodged.

I made the statement, and it was wrong.  See my later posting on the
subject, but I'll know better than to trust my memory next time.

>BUt enough about rigaffe's necks.  They do not really make a
>good model for dinos - no mammal does.
>--
>From: David Brez Carlisle
>bk090@Freenet Carleton.CA

Agreed, wholeheartedly - but I am still curious to know whether the
increased deposition of bone on the skull of older giraffes is parallelled
in any way in sauropods.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5