The derivation of "NOTO" in GIGANOTOSAURUS

I'm surprised that no one has volunteered this tidbit of
information about the "NOTO" in our most notorious giant
carnivore.  Here goes!

Notus was the god of the violent and scorching South wind in Ancient
Greek mythology.  The particular South wind known to ancient (and
modern) Greeks and other southern Europeans is the mistral, which
blows from the African desert.

According to Hesiod, Notus was the son of Eos, goddess of dawn.  Eos
corresponded to the Roman goddess Aurora.  Eos and the Titan Astraeus
were the parents not only of Notus, but of Zepherus, the gentle and
warm West Wind, of Boreas, the cold and harsh North Wind, and of
Hesperus, the evening star.  References to Boreas, Zepherus and
Hesperus are fairly common in Greek mythology, but I had never heard
of Notus until I tried to look up the "noto-" combining form.

And I can't find anything on the East Wind, but then, the wind
seldom blows from the East, and I haven't looked very hard.

My information comes from my treasured 11th Edition of the
Encyclopedia Britannica (1910), which is particularly good on
classical studies and 19th-century technology.

"Noto-" is useful, because the Latin "austra-" or "austral-" has been
overused, e.g., in Austria and Australia. Just to keep things from
being *too* simple, in some "noto-" terms, such as "notochord",
"noto-" is from a Latin root meaning "back".  I don't think that the
two roots are related, but I haven't checked).

I agree with the suggestion that GIGANOTOSAURUS should be pronounced
with both G's hard, as in GIGABYTE, and with equal emphasis on GI and
NO: GIga-NOto-saurus".  How do the folks in Argentina who named the
fossil pronounce it?  I suppose the first "g", at least, is pronounced
"h" in Spanish.

---Charlotte