Re: Baucus Bill

In a message dated 95-09-29 00:21:39 EDT, anatomy@acl.nyit.edu writes:

>>>do nothing but get more idiocies like the Baucus Bill thrown in our
>direction
>

>Ahmmmm.... do you really mean the Baucus Bill, or did you intend to say
>FPA? The two are like Winnie the Pooh and quantum mechanics; one bears no
>relation to the other. Baucus is the SVP version, FPA is the commercials
>version. Nuff said?
>
>Des

God, do I HATE politics! Please read "FPA" for "Baucus Bill," and thanks for
the correction. It's far easier for me to keep a complete cladogram of
Archosauria in my head than it is to keep the names of two pieces of
legislation straight. By the way, which of these is Winnie the Pooh, and
which is quantum mechanics?

As I replied to Jeff Poling by private posting, since augmented a bit:

Please don't misunderstand me! I am not against government--I am against what
all governments tend, some slowly, some more quickly, to become. I see
government as having a number of clear and obvious functions, among which
are: to provide for the common defense and to conduct foreign affairs, to
provide a venue for the transaction of business and the settlement of
disputes, to maintain and regulate certain public means of transporation and
communication, to provide a clean and decent environment in which the general
public can reside, and perhaps most of all to protect the general public from
the predatory/criminal element of society (including those caught with their
hands in the public till). To fulfill these functions requires conferring
considerable power upon individuals in the government, and this kind of power
draws a certain kind of person like a light bulb draws moths. (You know the
type: the kid who became the hall monitor when you were in grade school; or
the bully; or the pompous know-it-all.) The potential for abuse is enormous,
and each year our elected officials and higher career bureaucrats prove less
and less up to the job.

The US government is AWASH in money right now, despite what they tell us
about how "scarce" money has become. They have stolen so much of our
hard-earned money that they don't know what to do with it all. But the
politicians want everyone to believe money is scarce, and in a certain sense
it IS scarce, because, despite public outrage, they continue to spend more
and more of it on themselves--on increasing their staffs, on augmenting their
perks, on self-aggrandizement (making bigshots out of themselves by passing
out our money for boondoggles and pork), and in countless other
under-the-table ways: Whatever they can get away with. By the time your tax
dollar has filtered through the layers of government bureaucracy and power
networks, each of which takes its cut, it is worth only about a dime. As
these people soak up the funds, less and less becomes available for the
decent and worthwhile things that our government (and here we can go down to
the state and local levels as well as the federal level) has been empowered
to provide. And with these shrinking funds go the means to take care of,
among many other things, our fossil heritage.