Re: fossil collecting

> allow the public to do surface collections only - no digging.
> for excavation, permits/licencing would be required.
> let museums/academics decide whether the commercial operations get to
> be licenced.  that would ensure that commercial operations would
> be more likely to be reputable.

     I think that this would be extremely difficult to enforce.  Seeing
something lying on the ground and NOT digging in further to see what else
is there is a very difficult impulse to curb.  I would imagine collectors
would be doing this left and right.  How could you prove that they didn't
collect something on the surface unless you saw them do it?

LN Jeff