Re: Baucus Bill

In a message dated 95-09-28 22:01:00 EDT, JohnE37179@aol.com writes:

>We tend to forget that the government is "representative" of us.

Not since before the Civil War, it ain't.

>Ultimately "we" are responsible.

Unh! What you mean "we," Kemo Sabe? Let us not lump ourselves in with the
unthinking masses, please. I voted against every incumbent and against both
major parties. Where did it get me? The only thing it got me was a little bit
of comfort--the ability to look at myself in the mirror and be able to say
that I am NOT responsible for the mess that this country is rapidly becoming.

Don't fall for the myth, perpetuated by the government, that they are just
the "representatives" of the people. All governments everywhere are havens
for people sharing the psychological aberration that they believe it is
proper that they should be giving the orders and that others should be taking
the orders. In the USA, such people attain and maintain their positions by
garnering votes, so everything they do is aimed toward increasing the number
of "dolts and gulls" on their side (as H.P. Lovecraft, of all people, put it)
and decreasing the number of those individuals on their opponents' sides.

>We tend to defer to government, as if it were an entity apart form the
"governed".

They got guns and tanks, my man, and the means and desire to use them
whenever they feel threatened. I'll defer to that, you bet.

>By doing so, we only create a government that is unresponsive to the
governed.

It has always been this way, for all governments, for all of history.

>As members of the "governed" with special knowledge, we have a
responsibility to
>inform the government so that the decisions of government are at least
infomed.

They don't care. Those high in the government have their own agendas; we the
people
may consider ourselves lucky if every so often these agendas spin off
something decent. Usually they don't. At least our government doesn't commit
blatant atrocities against its people like some of the governments presently
in existence on this planet, which is a point in its favor--something we
might well be thankful for.

>With all the discussion here, and none of it being transmitted to those who
>"govern" as our representatives, have we discharged our responsibilities?

Paleontology is small potatoes in science, and science is small potatoes in
the "grand scheme" of keeping this country anesthetized to the milking that
is being perpetrated against its ordinary citizens. If funding science can
build better weapons to keep the politicians in power and the system that
feeds them in place, then the government will fund it. If funding medicine
holds open the promise of staving off death from one or another of the horrid
diseases that lie in wait for us, ordinary person and politician alike, then
the government will fund it. If funding science will keep a certain small but
potentially vociferous segment of the population busy and distracted, then
the government will fund it. If funding education will churn out little
robots to work in the factories and establishments of the mighty
corporations, then the government will fund it. But a few voices speaking up
for paleontology will do nothing but get more idiocies like the Baucus Bill
thrown in our direction. It won't be too much longer--maybe even in our
lifetimes--before the museums are all shut down and the national parks system
dismantled in the name of budget cutting, as examples of the impractical use
of "scarce" government funds. Then where will we and our dinosaurs be?