Re: Baucus Bill

>The real concern here, which is not address in the bill nor contemplated by
>its authors  (as near a s I can tell from reviewing the bill), is that it
>will creat a "market" in fossils (like the stock market) and market forces,
>rather than scientific endeavor forces, will drive the prices.  Private
>collectors -- well intentioned or not -- will compete with poorly funded
>academic research for available fossils.  This is no small concern.  The
>failure to address the "market" of the "market makers" is a serious
>deficiency in what might be well meaning legislation.

   How about expanding on this a little?  What type of restrictions, or lack
thereof, will make it harder for institutions to compete for fossils?

** 9/19/95.  T. rex is the Dinosaur-of-the-Month.  Visit our home page at    **
** http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/ for price lists and dinosaur essays.     **