New book, new dino

Dr. Louis Jacobs (Southern Methodist University) spoke at Cranbrook
Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan on Sunday, September
17, 1995. The title of his slide-illustrated talk was "Lone Star
Dinosaurs," closely parallel to his new book of the same title (for which
he slipped in a few well-placed plugs, by the way).

The essence of the lecture (and book) was the richness of Mesozoic
fossils found in Texas and the role the public, especially children, play
in the discovery of new dinosaur material. He geared his talk to the
family audience that was present, speaking for about 50 minutes and
spending another 10 minutes or so answering questions. It was a pleasant
talk with nothing earth-shattering, controversial or (dare I say it?)
heretical involved.

I happen to enjoy hearing about new dinosaur discoveries. Jacobs did not
disappoint when he mentioned a new nodosaur first found by a then
ten-year-old in Texas. Named _Pawpawsaurus_campbelli_ (after the Paw Paw
Formation and the person who found the skull), eventually enough material
was found as to make it nearly complete. The juvenile is about
100,000,000 years old and now on display at the Fort Worth Museum of
Science and History.

I have not yet had the opportunity to read the book so I cannot provide a
proper review. I don't think the book has hit the market yet, but it
should sometime soon (ISBN 0-89096-662-1). Jacobs had some pre-release
copies very fresh from the publisher that he was willing to sell -- with
an autograph at no extra charge. Its dimensions are about 18cm by 23cm
and at 160 pages, includes a bibliography and an index. It also features
nicely executed and reproduced black-and-white and color illustrations of
dinosaurs and the like by Karen Carr and black-and-white photographs of
"common folk" with their uncommon discoveries. The text is conversational
and sometimes anthropomorphic in tone and discusses general dinosaur
information for a public readership.

 Douglas E. Goudie                  To know all things is not permitted.
 ac941@leo.nmc.edu                               -- Horace (65 - 8 B.C.)