Re: giganotosaurus

To which Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. said:
>"What's hard about it?  Okay, the news readers don't read their text properly,
>but the name is actually very simple:

>Giga-noto-saurus.  Giant southern reptile.  For anyone who knows a smidge of
>mammal evolution, the "noto" is a VERY common word element in South American
>taxonomic names.

>Also, "imperator" would have been better..."

Most Dinosaurs are known by their scientific names, and most 6 year olds
know the names of their Dinosaurs.  Don't underestimate the ability of a 6
year old to remember the name of the biggest, baddest meat eating dinosaur
ever found!   Except for "duckbill" I can't think of any "common" names for
dinosaurs.  In this country we have puma, couger, mountain lion, panther,
and some others I can't remember right now, and it's all the same animal;
> Felis concolor <.

In a perfect world this precocious interest in Dinosaurs presents an ideal
opportunity to educate children about science, and how it works.  Using
Dinosaurs as a sort of template one could teach real science, beginning
with scientific nomenclature right off, cause the kids are already using
it.  And within the framework of Dinosaurs one could teach biology,
ecology, geology, math and statistics, and (God forbid) evolution.
Interest remains high because the kids think they are learning about
Dinosaurs.   -   Sigh   -  A perfect world.

Bill Hunt - Hunt Studios

Wildlife - Paleo Wildlife

Bronze - Stained Glass - Metal Sculpture

2780 Chaparral Ln  -  Paso Robles,  CA  -  93446

E-mail:  Willsculpt@AOL.com - or - bhunt@fix.net

Voice: 805-237-0733

Web Page Under Construction!