Re[2]: dinosaur footprints AND Re: The Lost World: Errata

Subject: Re: dinosaur footprints AND Re: The Lost World: Errata
Author:  aol.com!RaptorRKC
Originator: dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu at nssi
Date:    9/26/95 9:16 AM

<snip>

     >By the way, besides mushy ground, what other kind of ground can
     >footprints be left in?

     we've got very early hominid footprints left in ash.  I suppose if we
     found a large enought chunk of amber, we could find where something
     stepped in it.  (there are those previously mentioned oysters, after
     all)

<snip>

>T. rex, the color of dried blood?  Going a little too far.  I still imagine
>rexy as a orange-brown color, with a black netted pattern going across its
>back.  Like that painting by GSP, a back view of a running mating pair of T.
>rexes -- a think they looked like that, but with a little more brownish base
>color.

If they lived up further into the then-forming Rockies, maybe they'd have
been colored so as to fade into granite backgrounds.  Or verticaly striped so
as to fade into heavily forested backgrounds, or been green from the hips
down to fade into bramble bushes.  How the heck does ANYBODY know for sure?

<smip>

 >I heard that the baby rexes were feathered!  If not, I will be disappointed.
 >I still don't see why Crichton's raptors aren't feathered -- with small
>theropods, feathers are becoming the thing nowadays!  (He made a big mistake
>making naked raptors in the first place -- he never even mentioned, in his
>documentary/thriller-like writing style, that feathers on theropods had been
>suggested by leading authorities.)  Baby rexes were smaller than their
>parents, and were active, thus lost heat quickly -- an insulative covering

     The feathers were suggested by leading authorities as SPECULATION.
     There isn't a scrap of EVIDENCE that they had them.  Speculation isn't
     so far from suggesting an insulating covering for baby T rex.
     Hadrosaurs used vegetation as insulation in their nests.  Modern
     crocodiles use vegetation in their nests.  There is VERY STRONG
     evidence that neither crocodiles or hadrosaurs had feathers.

     -Betty Cunningham
     illustrator, animator, and likes to collect dead things