Re: Another Large Allosaurid

In a message dated 95-09-26 12:07:21 EDT, Tompaleo@aol.com writes:

>I have heard of an Allosaurid, Acrocanthasaurus atokensis that may have
>approached T. rex size. It too had a skull over 5 feet long and teeth ~8
>inches long and believed to have been in the 40+ foot long range.
>Interestingly, A. atokensis may be a_little_older_  than Gigantosaurus or at
>least seems to have been it's North American counterpart of Aptian-Albian
>age.

Although generally classified as an allosaurid these days, _Acrocanthosaurus
atokensis_ seems to share more derived characters with sinraptorids than with
allosaurids among Carnosauria. I'd call it a large, derived sinraptorid, at
least until the more recently discovered specimens are fully described.