Re: Permian reptiles foot-print site

The best work I know on the preservation/conservation of trackways has
been done by David Gillette of Utah and Neville Agnew (currently at the
Getty Conservation Institute). I am fowarding your message to them, or to
people who can get the message to them, for comment. In the meantime, do
not attempt to treat the surface with any kind of polymeric seal or
coating, especially if you have freeze-thaw or wet-dry climate cycles.
The coating will lead to even greater breakage. You may need to
investigate the possibility of some kind of physical covering that can be
seasonally removed. Dave and Dr. Agnew are the experts on this. We went
to them for advice in conserving a newly-found trackway in Texas a few
years ago and found their advice to be terrific (unfortunately, the city
administration was not very sympathetic).

Sally Shelton
Director, Collections Care and Conservation

|                 San Diego Natural History Museum                      |
|                          P. O. Box 1390                               |
|                San Diego, California   92112  USA                     |
|             phone (619) 232-3821; FAX (619) 232-0248                  |
|                     email LIBSDNHM@CLASS.ORG                          |