Re: Permian reptiles foot-print site

> Does anybody know about the conservation of foot-prints on the surface of
> red beds. Every year, frost and sun and important daily temperature change
> induce weathering and erosion of these foot-prints which are protected from
> rain. What produce can be used to consolidate the beds ? is there any
> previous experience ?

I am not sure about the mechanisms involved with temperature changes
and the composition of this red beds (not a geologist).  Very good
results has however been had with the conservation of porous rock
surfaces like sandstone with a stone strenghtener made by Wacke in
Germany.  It is a silicon based material that can be painted onto the
surface.  It has a very high penetration.  Very seldom can any colour
changes be seen and this is usually almost invisible if you don't
have anything to compare with. Very importantly - it does not seal
the rock but replenish it.  It has been used very succesfully to
protect the Easter Island statues.

If you need more info, shout.  I don' have it with me at the moment.

Groetnis
Maestro

mloots@medic.up.ac.za                                       pgp2.6
marius.loots@spectrum.iaccess.za            old.bones@leclub.co.za
            Add some Chaos to your Life and put the World in Order.
First there is the Idea.     Then the Idea becomes the Institution.
Then the Institution dominates. Dictates. Then there is a new Idea.