Re: MORE ON SAUROPOD FEEDING HIGH & LOW

As I stated in my original posting, the lack of heavy grit wear on diplodocid
teeth is contrary to their normally feeding at ground level, or in the water.
However, it certainly is possible that diplodocids did so on occassion,
especially in the rainy season when they may have moved out onto the fern
prairies to tap into the extra food source.

Note that it is possible that diplodocids and other sauropods evoleved in
wetter woodlands than found in the Morrison, and that they stuck to the
riverine forests for most of the food in the Morrison. The river watered
trees would have supplied a more reliable year round food source than the
seasonal plains ferns, which only the diplodocids could easily utilize when
available. The abundance of the ferns may be misleading in this regard. It is
interesting that Morrison camptosaurs got as big as duck- billed hadrosaurs,
maybe they were out there on the plains eating ferns (and seem rare because
they were rarely preserved).

GSPaul