RE:sauropod feeding*

>     As far as I know, there is no known Mesozoic equivalent for
>grasses.  Undergrowth yeah, but no uniform ground cover like grasses are
>today.  Would this have prevented problems for other plants via heavy
>erosion?

Actually, the increased erosion would cause even greater problems for the plants
that were there, since the topsoil would be easily stripped away by water
action, taking all nutrients with it.

Off hand, does anyone know how extensive the "shrub level" root growth would be
for the Mesozoic?  Would the root growth be enough to prevent topsoil loss?  Is
there any idea of natural mechanisms that may have dealt with this potential
problem?

Rob

***
"Okay Devious, don't move!"