RE:sauropod feeding*

> Not a dumb question at all, and part of the reason for my original
> question.  It does seem like a lack of ground cover would leave the
> topsoil vulnerable to erosion, particularly if there were periods of
> heavy rain like in today's trpics.  It would also be a major unexploited
> niche for the plants.

      Possibly in the sense that the absence of large
terrestrial vertebrates on the Paleozoic was an unexploited niche:
nothing had ever "thought" of evolving in that direction before, to
horribly anthropomorphise evolution.
     Can anyone give first-hand observations of where swans do most of
thier feeding?
     P.S.: I'm looking for the holotype catalogue number and as many other
specimen numbers as I can find for _Shunosaurus_.

LN Jeff
"Now I'm lonely and I have a dancing rat."
0-