Watch you language! (was Re: "No Bolides!")

> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 15:46:37 -0500
> From: Tompaleo@aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list <dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu>
> Subject: Re: "No Bolides!"
>
> Besides, many of the above taxa such as the dinosaurs and ammonites were
> doing well beforet the catastrophe and then suddenly disappeared. In all
> likelyhood, _yes_ it was a bolide that started it all!

Can we get our terminology a bit clearer here?
I just had a look over at the NASA JPL Terms site and also looked it up in
Webster's New Encylopedic Unabridged,and according to both, with JPL listing a
bolide as an "exploding meteorite",and Websters defining it as:"A brilliant
glowing meteor, esp. one that explodes",which could cover any number of things
IMHO. Most of the references to "bolides" I've seen on this thread treat it
as a synonym for an impact event though, which it isn't necessarily.
At the risk of starting up YetAnother "So, what *WAS* Chicxulub?" thread,
can we please stick to the proper terms of "meteor", "meteoroid", "meteorite",
"bolide", etc?

In a group that is so oft religiously picky about its terminology, I'm a bit
surprised that nobody's jumped on this yet...

----Steve(sorry, its the English major in me)