Re: "No Bolides!"

There is virtually no more doubt in the geological community of those who
have examined the data that there was a huge bolide impact so close to
the stratigraphically-determined end of the Cretaceous that its timing
cannot be distinguished from that end point.  I believe that the claim
that core data from Chicxulub simply shows volcanism is no longer being
promoted by those (e.g. Charles Officer) who once did so.  The claim by
marine micropaleontologists (e.g. Gerta Keller) that the presumed impact
did not quite correspond to plankton extinctions also seems to have been
abandoned.

Bottom line--there WAS a bolide collision at the end of the Cretaceous.
I don't know about some of the subsidiary hypotheses, such as whether
there really are catastrophic tsunami deposits along the Texas and Mexico
Gulf coasts.  That is indeed a subsidiary hypothesis, whose falsification
would have no bearing on the impact hypothesis itself.  I think that it
has been adequately demonstrated that the impact occurred.  Its physical
effects can be determined, and its apparent effects on the biosphere are
reflected in the fossil data from the top of the Cretaceous.  What
effects we THINK such an impact SHOULD have had on the biosphere has to
take a back seat to what the fossil record actually shows.  If you don't
like the data from the fossil record, then you should have a simple
explanation for why the data are so misleading.  The data indeed SUGGEST
that extinctions occurred at essentially the same time as the impact.  In
my reading, I have found that proponents of the
"bolide-impact-causing-extinction" hypothesis have only a little
difficulty in explaining what became extinct and what survived.  The
hypothesis is still being refined in the classic iterative process that
is science.

While I'm not sure I should embrace everything about this hypothesis, or
that it was the only factor involved, I have searched in vain for a
competing hypothesis that is equally testable--whose effects can be so
concisely circumscribed, and is competent to explain as many observations
about the terminal Cretaceous extinction event.  The fact that no other
hypothesis is such a hot topic for discussion shows that there is no
serious competition at this time.  I'd love to see such competition.

WELL??????

University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.