Re: Extinction

This post may put me over the limit for the day; if so, put it on my tab.

>Has anyone seen any information on the minimum breeding population that was
>required for any of these extinct species, to know what the critical mass was
>to sustain any particular species, and what the range of variance might have
>been?

I haven't seen anything myself, but there would be a few things to know before
an accurate one could be generated: how long till the animal reached
reproductive age, how long is an individual reproductively active, how often
does an individual reproduce, is the animal fairly social and can't function
reproductively if the herd population is below a certian level.  Once we know
all this, ecologist have a few mathematical models that are fairly accurate.

Rob

***
"Wizzo butter is absolutely indistinguisable from a dead crab."
        -MPFC