Re: A piece of the bolide?

I believe that the angle of impact has little to do with crater symetry.
(Looka t he moon or any other celestial body that is well cratered.  Do you
think all of those craters were formed from straigh in impacts?).  I have a
remote memory of Shoemaker performing some  experiments on this issue years
ago.  Temeber it is not the impact fo the object that digs out the crater,
but the tremedous release of energy that radiates unifomly from the site that
does most of the cratering.

John Ellingson
Holed up in the last vestige of Winter in Madison, WI