Re: A piece of the bolide?

>I believe that the angle of impact has little to do with crater
>symetry.  (Looka t he moon or any other celestial body that is well
>cratered.  Do you think all of those craters were formed from
>straigh in impacts?).  I have a remote memory of Shoemaker
>performing some experiments on this issue years ago.  Temeber it is
>not the impact fo the object that digs out the crater, but the
>tremedous release of energy that radiates unifomly from the site
>that does most of the cratering.

I recently picked up a copy of Melosh's "Impact Cratering" and eventhough I
have not read it yet because I am still catching up on journals and a book
that came first, I do seem to remember my eye catching a similar remark about
the angle of impact vs crater size and symmetry while glimpsing at the pages.
At least up to a critical angle. Witness the geologically recent multiple
impacts in Argentina, the impact scars are _elongated_ and do not
superficially resemble your basic crater! I guess I'll have to check now ;-)

Regards,
Thomas R. Lipka
Paleontological/Geological Studies