Re[3]: Swimming mammoths and climate change

Robert.J.Meyerson wrote:
>>Charcharodon charcharis is the great white, C. megalodon is the (Cretaceous?)

>Try Cenozoic.  It went extinct in the Early Pliestocene.

     Oops.  I should stick to Archosaurs!  (anyone got glue?)

>>The problem does develop, however, when a
>>feeding frenzy starts and the pachyderms are far from shore.

>I'm not certain, but I think the feeding frenzy behavior is more
>common for smaller sharks (reef sharks in particular), especially
>those that tend to school; the larger sharks tend to be solitary,
>and seem to be less likely to go berserk when there is abundant food
>in the water.  So the threat of a shark attack on a herd is limited,
>since the shark will only take a maximum of one mammoth.

     I did not know that, but I believe that the point still stands,
     assuming that there are smaller sharks in the area.  Although the
     stories may be exagerated, I understand that once blood hits the
     water, the sharks will come.