Re: Swimming mammoths and climate change

>Ok. I too had heard a vague reference to elephantoid swimming abilities and
>do not doubt that. I guess what I have a problem with is how far they had to
>swim, prevailing currents etc., and in the case of Catalina, _sharks_.  I
>think that it may be safe to assume that since the Catalina Island area is a
>_favorite_ hunting ground gor the Great White (Charcharodon? sp?) that any of
>it's ancient relative may have also found this area a good hunting ground as
>well. And a couple or even single plodding pachyderms in shark infested
>waters would spell instant meal! Just some speculation...
>
>Regards,
>Thomas R. Lipka
>Paleontological/Geological Studies

Is there any chance that the crossing took place during a glacial period,
when sea levels would have been lower, the distance less and (possibly) the
conditions in the intervening waters that make them attractive to sharks
today not applicable?
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5