Re: A piece of the bolide?

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, King, Norm wrote:

> The March 29, 1996 (v. 271, p. 1806) issue of _Science_ has a short note
> on the discovery of a 3 mm chip of rock from the K-T layer on the bottom
> of the Pacific off the west coast of Mexico.  It is rich in iridium, and
> contains metallic grains that are up to 87% nickel.  It is only the
> second recognizeable meteorite found in all of the cores of deep sea
> sediments ever taken--and "just happened" to be in the K-T layer.  If
> part of the bolide, it would show that it was an asteroid rather than a
> comet.

Hi,
        B ut tektites are common in deep sea sediments, at least magnetic
tektites whish were swept with a magnetic "broom". I posted a short piece
recently on tektites found on the Nicaragua Rise or near it, by the Deep
Sea Drilling Program, right at the K-T boundary in a deep core. The odds
on coring or dredging a meteorite in the deep ocean are infinitisimal. We
have cored and dredged far less than 1 percent of the deep ocean.

Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 44 years SCUBA
mcallist@gate.net (954) 426-0808, Author Diving Locations, Boynton/Dania