Re: Re[2]: Swimming mammoths and climate change

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996 Tompaleo@aol.com wrote:

> In summary the factors aginst are;
> 1)To far to swim  (26 miles)
> 2)Ocean Currents and maritime weather
> 3)Sharks and Orcas who's feeding frenzies would take out the entire lumbering
> lot
> 4)Very low survival assuming any reached at all
> 5)Inevitable interbreeding leading to genetic mutation, sterility and
> extinction!

        Okay:
1) deer can get at least that far out to sea- my father has observed them
in deep water in Alaska
2) see above
3) seems improbable, at best. Surfers in california spend a lot of time
in water without frequent problems.
4) what's the argument behind this?
5) cheetahs, while a sickly population, are surviving despite the fact
they're so inbred. I heard something once stated to the effect
that they might even be the remains of a single pregnant female that
survived the Pleistocene extinctions.

        How about icebergs as a transportation method, if we're
desperate? A polar bear drifted ashore on the northern end of the Kodiak
Archipelago when it was transported by iceberg. So a herd of mammoths on
an ice sheet breaks off and drifts out to sea. Perhaps improbable, but
it's either that, or swimming- there's no other way to move a mammoth
across water of that depth.

> I still favor some yet to be discovered land bridge. Maybe some paleotctonic
> simulations could be run to see if there were some platform, island chain or
> some other feature could have provided the means. Just slide the two plates
> backwards about 10,000years and start form there.

Kodiak Island is separated from mainland Alaska by an averageof 20 miles of
deep, open water extending to a maximum depth of 150 fathoms. At no time
has it ever been any less than 4/5 of the present distance. Somehow,
ermine, voles, foxes, brown bear, beavers, and otters made it across.
They sure as heck didn't do it by walking. For bears, transport by ice or
swimming seems likely, and beavers are capable swimmers. As for fox,
ermine, and voles, who knows- but it wasn't by land.

        -nickk L.