Re: Re[2]: Swimming mammoths and climate change

Well folks, I checked my bathymetric charts of the Channel Islands off
California and found to my amazement that the distance from the coast to
Anacapa Island, allowing for about 100 meters of sea level lowering (150
m does not change the picture much) is about 6 miles. The lower sealevel
would have made a land bridge from Anacapa to Santa Cruz and from Santa
Cruz to Santa Rosa. So the farthest they would have had to swim was about
6 miles.
        This also suggezxsts that we mighht well frind remains on
Anacapa, a small Island and on Santa Cruz, the biggest of the three.
        Farther south the distance to Santa Catalina is about 15 miles
during Pleistocene and San Clemente probably was too far to swim, about
40 miles as I recollect.

Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 44 years SCUBA
mcallist@gate.net (954) 426-0808, Author Diving Locations, Boynton/Dania