Subj:    Re: $$Sue$$
Date:    96-04-12 23:21:27 EDT
From:    Dinogeorge
To:      dinolvr@ix.netcom.com

You wrote:

> Dinogeorge wrote:
>
>> The government has stated, as far as I know, that the man may
>> dispose of the specimen as he sees fit. There's nothing wrong with
>> him trying to set himself up for life. That's what any rational
>> person would do, given such a windfall.
>
> That would be true, except he already accepted a fee for Sue, from
> the BHI.

That is now a dead issue, since the government intervened and changed
the ball game. BHI offered their fee, and Maurice Williams accepted,
before either knew what they had. Basically, and in hindsight, we can
view it as an almost successful attempt by BHI to swindle Williams out
of his windfall for a mere $5000. This, I guess, is the substance of
the case against BHI as pursued by the Sioux and the government.

.and you wrote:

>> philanthropically inclined rich person or foundation purchased the
>> specimen from him at his asking price (more or less), then donated
>> the specimen to a qualified scientific institution.
>
> Who or what would make that determination, "qualified scientific
> institution?"

The purchasing/donating entity, I suppose.

.and you wrote:

>> avoiding the multitude of thieves out there trying to _take away_ my
>> money and my property for nothing.
>
> Deja vu...didn't that already happen in this case?

Yes, and Williams successfully avoided being ripped off. It took _some
doing_, didn't it?

.and you wrote:

>> If he were to donate the specimen to science, science would simply
>> walk off with it. A few scientists would publish a few papers on it
>> (for which they would be paid from various grants and other income
>> sources), and he would be left with nothing but, perhaps, a little
>> plaque with his name on it in some museum. And that would be that.
>
> Okay, since we're playing "what if" here, building scenarios in the
> sky, what if Williams only donated the USE of Sue...retained all
> commercial rights to the specimen.  In other words, what if he gave
> scientists the right to study Sue in exchange for prep hours, signed
> a 50 year lease with, say the National Museum, in exchange for a fat
> percentage of every admission charged to see Sue - - why wouldn't
> that serve the scientist and the capitalist?  Hmmmm?  Does the
> "American Way" have to be an all or nothing proposition?

There are many alternatives to be explored. Certainly if Williams
can't find a cash buyer for his asking price, he should look into this
option as a way of reaping the benefits from his windfall. Williams
must realize that proper scientific preparation and description of his
specimen would _add_ to its commercial value. There's no reason, even
after all that has transpired, why BHI and he couldn't get together on
this project and come to a suitable arrangement.

My beef here is with the idea that Williams should simply donate the
dino to science. This is nuts. How many paleontologists today _donate_
their services to science? Just the rich ones...