Re: Answer to Dinogeorge

At 11:46 AM 4/13/96 -0400, Kelly Milner-Halls wrote:

>Okay, since we're playing "what if" here, building scenarios in the
>sky, what if Williams only donated the USE of Sue...retained all
>commercial rights to the specimen.  In other words, what if he gave
>scientists the right to study Sue in exchange for prep hours, signed a
>50 year lease with, say the National Museum, in exchange for a fat
>percentage of every admission charged to see Sue - - why wouldn't that
>serve the scientist and the capitalist?  Hmmmm?  Does the "American
>Way" have to be an all or nothing proposition?

   It does in this case.  Mr. Williams is 70 years old.  What is the life
expectancy for reservation Indians these days?  A trickle of income isn't
going to float his boat ... he's said as much ... and I think the only thing
that would make him take an annual income over everything all at once would
be convincing him that nobody is going to buy it.

** (for all your Dinosaur product needs),    ** little freedom for a      **
** Jeff's Journal of Dinosaur Paleontology,  ** little security will soon **
** and The Dinosaur Mailing List Omnipedia.  ** find they have none of    **
** http://www.dinosauria.com                 ** either." -- Jeff Poling   **