bird and dino brains

One thing that puzzled me was that report on some kind of bird growing
and loosing an extra portion of his brain. I always thought that like
humans birds were born with all their neurons already formed.
That was one of the reasons I've always thought large birds and dinos
had relatively small brains, is there any work done on the relation
of bird brain volume at birth when compared with adult bird brain volume,
is any study of that kind possible for dinosaurs? (I supose we could do it
at least with maiasaura)...