Re: orca's eating habits

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Ben S. Roesch wrote:

> If only half the people that think orcas are "cute" knew what they do to
> other marine mammals! Rushing ashore to capture young sea lions in
> Patagonia, and then smashing them around with their tails comes to
> mind...ahh, yes predatory behaviour, fascinating isn't it!?

To be fair, it must be noted that not all orcas behave this way.  Our
resident whales here in Puget Sound, to my knowlege, eat fish and rarely,
if ever, attack other marine mammals.  The same is true of the whales up
the British Columbia coast.  There is possibly a subspecific distinction
between these "resident" types and the more violent "transient" pods like
those mentioned above.

> Ciao!
> Ben...

Adios!