Novel invasion of dino-haven by K/T mammals.

Several people have critisized this analogy: mammals are to threatened
island species (eg., NZ), as mammals were to Cretaceous dinosaurs.  The
general feeling among them is that dinosaurs, since they were exposed to
the mammmals' tactics over the Mesozoic, should have been able to respond
to it with adaptations of their own.  In the past I have attacked this
view by claiming structural constraints of the eggs, and of the dinosaurs
(eg., inability to burrow) limited the range of possible evolutionary
complaints head on.
Even if the dinosaurs had the genetic wherewithal to develop arrropriate
anti-mammal/bird "technologies", they had no time to do so.This was because
they were essentially ISOLATED from the mammals!  What I mean is,  with
reference to the _direction_ of predation, dinosaurs had had no
contact with the mammals.  All of the predation had gone the other way,
i.e., dinosaurs were preying on mammmals.  Suffering intense predation,
mammals evolved technologies of stealth, technologies which had _nothing_
to do with preying on dinosaurs.  Rather, they were devoted to keeping
the mammals alive!  But, in one of the greatest examples of evolutionary
_karma_, these same technologies of defence, also became technologies of
_offence_.  When it did, the dinosaurs, adaptationally speaking, were
caught off guard.  They had never been exposed to threats of such a novel
nature: burrowing ability, cognitive powers, aural, visual acuity and so
on.
When we talk about speciation from ancestral stocks, we refer to
allopatric and sympatric speciation.  With regard to these topics,
islands can refer, really, to the tops of mountains (inasmuch as the
ancestral stocks never come into contact with each other), or any barrier
to gene flow.  With reference, now to exposure to mammal->dinosaur
predation, the two species were isolated.  The small animal niche, and
the open-field big dinosaur niche were functional islands.  In this
sense, just as we have observed them do in NZ, Hawaii, Galapagos, they
walked into the habitat of a new species and exploited them with their
stealth-driven adaptations.