Re: The all-strategies-are-equal-theory.

> Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 19:48:36 -0400
> From: John Bois <jbois@umd5.umd.edu>
> To: dinosaur
> Subject: The all-strategies-are-equal-theory.
>
> Nick Pharris questions whether or not the lack of arms caused ratites to
> have a limited niche.
>
> The ratites are devoted to speed.  This puts their body at such an angle
> where arms are useless--or perhaps, inasmuch as they slow down the
> animal, harmful.  This is also seen in the atrophy of T-rex etc.  Tyhe
> bipedal lifestyle renders arms useless.

What about all the *other* theropods?  Sure, T. rex had atrophied arms,
but most theropods had quite functional arms, and probably similar body
postures.

Lack of arms may cause you to be limited to "speed" niches, but theropods
quite adequately filled many niches *with* arms and a bipedal lifestyle.

We could easily make some arguments here about percentages of theropods
with severally atrophied arms in order to prove this point... :-)

--
Bob Myers                              InteleNet Communications, Inc.
Email: bob@InteleNet.net               30 Executive Park, Suite 150