Swimming mammoths and distance to Channel Islands

This is a repost since I've heard no comments on original post and we are
still debating the actual distance to Santa Rosa. Please read this before
any more guesses about the distance!!!

Well folks, I checked my bathymetric charts of the Channel Islands off
California and found to my amazement that the distance from the coast to
Anacapa Island, allowing for about 100 meters of sea level lowering (150
m does not change the picture much) is about

                         6 miles.

The lower sealevel would have made a LAND BRIDGE from Anacapa to Santa
Cruz and from Santa Cruz to Santa Rosa. So the farthest they would have
had to swim was about 6 miles.
        This also suggests that we might well find remains on
Anacapa, a small Island and on Santa Cruz, the biggest of the three.
        Farther south the distance to Santa Catalina is about

                                15 miles

during Pleistocene and San Clemente probably was too far to swim, about

                                40 miles as I recollect.

Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 44 years SCUBA
mcallist@gate.net (954) 426-0808, Author Diving Locations, Boynton/Dania