Re: Channel Islands

> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 14:13:29 +0930
> From: Ray McAllister <mcallist@gate.net>
> To: dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
> Subject: Re:Channel Islands
>
> Bill and all,
>         Anacapa is still big enough on my California charts to be worth
> looking at. I dont know the geology of the island in enough detail to be
> helpful, however. And my chart did not run as fatr north as San Miguel and
> I did not bother to look any farther than Santa Rosa. But the land bridge
> between the islands was definitely well out of water during the Wisconsin.

I think Anacapa is mostly volcanic.  I'll see if I can dig up my
"Geology of the Channel Islands" maps & such.  I don't think you're
likely to find fossils there.  What I've seen is volcanic cliffs, with
a small plateau on 2 of the major islets. I think the third (West
Anacapa) is off-limits due to pelican nesting.  Anacapa is also
heavily eroded; I doubt that there's much if any quaternary sedimentary
strata.

>         BTW, the bison were introduced by settlers if my info is correct.

The bison are on (Santa) Catalina, and they were introduced by a movie
production in the 20's or so.  They certainly aren't native.

Interestingly, though, they have "dwarfed", even in the very short time
they've been there.