Re: Raptor Unread and T. rex Gangrene

In article <v01540b30ada37a1c26e0@[129.127.84.36]>, Tompaleo@aol.com
writes
(snip)

>Bakker _is_ a paleontologist and produces
>fiction bordering on the ludicrous purely for consumption by the media and
>the masses is a discredit to the science! He should be chastized by his peers
>andf  it is the duty of the paleo-community to make their protests known
>privately first and publicly later if it continues.  From what I keep hearing
>and reading about this otherwise nice guy, it does continue.

I'd like to present my experience in support of the main argument for
Raptor Red, Jurassic Park, and other dinofiction - the kids think it's
great and they do get genuinely interested.  My oldest - nearly seven -
loved Jurassic Park enough to spend time looking through "The
Dinosauria" for pictures of the relevant bones.  He also spent a long
time insisting that I tell him all the arguments for and against T rex
being able to catch up with jeeps (thanks to all those who posted on the
subject recently).  I think he's benefited and I'll be a customer for
JP2.

>He refuses to
>subject any of his more plausible hypotheses or findings to the rigors of the
>scientific method and peer review. He side-steps this by publishing his own
>"journal", books rife with untested speculation, numerous appearances on
>"documentaries"  as the "expert" on all facets of so called "dinosaurology"
>and some colorful  but wierd stuff!

(snip)

This may make him a poor scientist but he's still a good entertainer and
all-around stimulant.  I think that "the community" should accept him
for what he is, and try gentle persuasion in the hope that he'll rejoin
science as well as continuing to entertain.

Dr Richard Keatinge, consultant in public health medicine
tel 0(+44) 1248 370025
http://www.ihi.aber.ac.uk/Other/maternity.html
for details of best maternity care in Wales
http://www.nwi.co.uk/nant/nant.htm
for Welsh residential courses