Re: Ultimate T-Rex

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Steven S. Lazarus wrote:

> I agree with you completely. That was my point. With the documentaries,
> there is not the budget necessary to compete with commercial movies. We
> need those commercial movies to spark imagination and generate interest.
> They are exciting. But stylistically, these documentaries shouldn't try to
> emulate them. They can't.
>
> The best of both worlds would be to have the real movie makers and special
> effects gurus do these documentaries and then release these films in
> theaters across the country like regular movies. I think the audience would
> be there just like they are for Jurassic Park. Anybody in filmland
> listening?

As the folks at ILM have stated in the documentaries, once you create one
digital _Gallimimus_, you can copy and paste it with variations
"relatively easily". CGI eliminates forever the problem with stop-motion
models that deteriorate over time.

Suggestion: Paleontologists and The Dinosaur Society could request that
any projects they work on for the future include a certain number of
animated sequences _sans_ 20th century anomalies for educational use.
The paleontologists make a significant contribution to the success of a
film project. Why can't the producers make a contribution back to
science?

Spielberg made a generous gesture toward education by allowing public
schools to show _Schindler's List_ to high school students (with parental
consent). Another generous gesture would be to have ILM create some
generic CGI footage of some of the dinosaurs. (Please, though, no footage
of spitting dilophosaurs or dilophosaurs with frills. As Joe Friday would
say... Just the facts.)

They could make it a commercial venture. How about a CD-ROM encyclopedia
of dinosaurs produced by ILM and _carefully_ reviewed by a committee from
The Dinosaur Society?

----- Amado Narvaez
      anarvaez@umd5.umd.edu