RE:Raptor Red and T. Rex Green

S.S. Lazarus writes:
>...Anthropomorphism is a necessary evil in a work of fiction. Somehow the
author must relate the STORY material to its human audience. {snip} ...you will
probably never come closer to the real spectacle of these beasts than in this
fabrication of a movie. I hope Bakker writes many more novels like Raptor Red.
We could use a whole series of these NOVELS.<

I absolutely agree if you add one word to describe the novels - children. I
suggested once before that Raptor Red (toned down, of course) would have been a
good childrens' book. Childrens' books are loaded with animals as the main
characters and these type of dino books CAN get kids interested in
dinosaurs and
they then go in search of factual-type books to learn more as they get older. I
did.

An animal main character, anthropomorphised, does not make a good subject for a
dramatic adult novel. (Exceptions are when they are used symbolically such
as in
Adams' Watership Down or Orwell's 1994). A very talented writer, I believe, can
take an animal subject and write in the first person (from a human point of
view) but it sure gets unbelievable if the author is speaking through mind
of an
animal. I got so annoyed with Raptor Red, I had to return it, unfinished,
to the
library. (No offense to those of you who did read it and like science fiction
such as this - your prerogative).

I wouldn't attempt to read any more novels like Raptor Red. I do hope that this
type of fiction, if perpetuated, does not lead to more popular inaccuracies
floating through the media but that it gets taken for what it is - fiction for
entertainment purpose only.